10/21/2017

Homesurf with Globe At Home Prepaid Wifi Final Review–It’s not Worth It

prepaid-wifi-of-globe-at-home
UPDATE:

Please see this new blog post on how to register Globe at Home Prepaid wifi promos 

UPDATE: It’s been 2 hours now and I still cannot browse the internet even though I have 21 gb of data as shown by the Globe at Home Prepaid App.
2nd UPDATE: So I have to wait for 7 days to get a call. Bye bye 6gb worth of data. I regret buying this stupid thing. Oh well.
It seemed like a promising product at first. Globe at Home Prepaid Wifi looks like a relatively cheap promo when you consider that you can have 15 gigabytes of data for only Php 599 and a possible 1gb for only 15 pesos (HOMESURF15). However it seems as if Globe did not really specify how their other promos will react to multiple promos registered.

The Ephemeral HOMESURF15

A few days ago, I registered to Gosurf50. I was hoping on topping up with several homesurf15 so that I can enjoy livestreaming services from Netflix. Unfortunately, I couldn’t register to HOMESURF15 until yesterday which was the last day of my Gosurf50. So yesterday, I was able to register to HOMESURF15 six times. That meant I had 6gb of data. Upon seeing that the data validity would last only for 1 more day, I immediately registered HOMESURF599 for 15 gigabytes for 1 month. I was hoping that the validity will be extended. I had a total of 21 gb of data as seen on the Globe at Home app.

Now here’s the problem, it seems that despite the registration of a very expensive 599 pesos, the 1gb will still expire as scheduled despite the fact that the Globe at Home app registers a 1 month validity. This is something that Globe needs to address.

Bugged HOMESURF service of Globe

Another problem arose. As of today, I consumed the FREE10GB and at least 2gb of GOSURF. Suddenly my internet connection faltered. My surfalert got triggered effectively cutting off my data. Yet the Globe app still shows that I should have 21 gb of data for use.
I called 211, they told me to turn off surfalert and to try browsing again. Internet connection returned, I ended the call. 15 minutes later, my internet got cut off again. It seems that Globe ate up the 5 pesos load in my prepaid wifi for 15 minutes of internet. Again, I still could not use up the expiring gigabytes!
So I made another call, I was advised to turn on surfalert again (and a lecture about surfalert to which I already know). I had to ask several times how much HOMESURF data I have, weird that the CSR can’t see my remaining data. So her solution was to terminate the HOMESURF15 registrations and to refund me. Ok fine.
After the call, I find out she canceled my GS299 subscription and I still can’t surf the internet.

Verdict is HOMESURF of Globe at Home Prepaid Wifi Worth It?

If your budget is less than 600 pesos, Globe at Home Prepaid wifi is right for you. Just a warning as I have posted earlier, the promo can change for the better or for worst.
But if you have the budget? NO, Globe at Home Prepaid Wifi is not worth it. Go for Smart’s Ultera 1,699. It’s the same LTE modem, except that you get a 100gb data allocation at 20mbps. Or get a DSL/Fiber connection. Better yet, get a Converge Fiber X. At 1,500 you get unlimited data at a speed of 20mbps.
Let’s also hope and pray that the 60/40 rule gets scrapped and foreign competitors enter the market so we can finally have real choices.
TL;DR;
globe telecom sucks

3 comments:

  1. Yes nars, globe's service sucks mostly, but not all teh time. When i bought this phw, i tezted it at our place at malate, i just cnt get any connection even though the wifi icon says go! I was to use this at our house in bulacan so i had apprehensions right away, but lo n behold, i was pleasntly amazed that it performed splendidly, just like our wired service at manila. It was real fast. So u see, i think it is area dependent, and im quite happy i turned out fine.
    Btw, we just switchd our isp frm sky to converge 2 months ago, and u r right in ur advice here to consider them. They are way way better than most providers with the same offerings and we r happy that we switched to the too. Thanx alot for ur inputs, appeciate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya. It depends if your area has the right frequency. I guess the GHPW is for specific people. Like those who can't get a plan for various reasons, or the area can't be reached by DSL or for emergency purposes.

      Glad to see you enjoying Converge. Let's hope the competition will force existing ISPs to perform better. And let's hope out Government pass net neutrality laws to improve our internet services.

      Delete
    2. Yes, our area is maasim in sn ildefonso bulacan, in a farm area so no providers yet, but smart/sun sucks here.
      Like u i am hoping that more competitors can spur quality service frm our dominant providers and i think that will only happen if our govt will really stand on its promise to establish the necessary tools to overhaul our existing laws for a truly fair and balance playing field n i guess our president's political will is seeing to that. When? I hope its by tomorrow na!

      Delete